Saturday 19 March 2011

2003, Day Eleven, Auxerre

Day eleven 12th June

It's only a short drive to our next stop in Auxerre, about seventy miles, just about all via the A6 motorway.  We get our toll ticket and drive to our exit but there, the toll booths are unmanned and the barriers are up, so we drive straight through (we later discover that the booth operators are on strike, probably pensions).

Camping Municipal d'Auxerre, France Auxerre Camping Municipal d'Auxerre
8, Route de Vaux, 89000 Auxerre
Web Site

The Municipal site in Auxerre, is on the opposite side of the road to the football stadium, so its fairly easy to find.  Part of the site is prone to flooding and we where advised to use plots away from this area, obviously we did but others just ignored the advice.

Before we choose a plot, we find the motorhome service point and empty dirty water and replenish with fresh.  This done we find a large plot equal distance from the toilet blocks, one of which is far superior to the other but sometimes busy so its nice to have the other one close as well.


I go back to reception, to let them know what plot we are on and am told, that someone will be over shortly to connect the electrics.  Eventually a girl ambles over and walks over to an eclectic hook-up  box miles away.  I need both cables I have with me, a new one that's about 25 meters and the 15 meters continental one I got with the van is Spain.  The girl is not happy with the continental connection on my cable and a French guy from the van closest to the electrical box, offers assistance.  We go back to me van to my electrical gadgets, adaptors and connections box and find a 2 meter continental extension cable that the girl approves of.  So I now have a 2 meter continental extension cable from the box to a 15 meters continental hook-up to a 25 meters normal hook-up (normal for us anyway) and it still only just reaches the back of the van.  The French guy tells me, in French that I should put un sac on the exposed extension cable connection, I was being a bit thick and had to ask Dot what un sac was, oh silly me, put a bag over it, to stop water ingress, it was right next to a tap.

Walking back towards town, if you take the first right turn at the traffic lights, then down by the side of the stadium, you come to the river and swimming pool complex.  The route to town this way is a lot more pleasant this way, walking along the river Yonne, it may be slightly longer but it's much more enjoyable, with magnificent views on the churches.  We did walk past the main road up in to the centre, as we where taking in the river but this did get us slightly lost when we did head towards the main shopping area. By that time we were very hot and thirsty, so when we did come to a smell bar we popped in for a drink and sat outside.  After a while the barman comes out and asks if we are parked along this road, as the traffic warden is on the way, I think this is very thoughtful of him.  So as a thank you I order more beer.

 Auxerre, France 2003Street Auxerre, France 2003Auxerre France 2003

In the bar I notice a poster for a rugby tens competition in two days time, I know sevens but have never seen tens.  I ask the barman where the rugby ground is and it is close to the camp site, so I decide we will stop for an extra night and pop along to see what it is like.

The centre is quite like Dijon, with plenty of very old wooden buildings and of course lots of modern shops.  Walked back to the site by the road way and spotted a large supermarket that we will use on the way out moving on to our next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment