Thursday 24 March 2011

2004, Last Day

Day sixteen 26th June

Packed up and said our goodbyes, Ralph, Tracey and the girls are there for another couple of days, then set off for the ferry.  The short way from Guines, is via the D127 to the A16 and E15 into Calais but we knew the way to the A16 via our route to the supermarket and thought it would be quicker. 

It would have been, if we hadn't taken the wrong turning off the A16 heading the opposite way to Calais and the first turning to get back was about 14 miles.  It all started with a call from Mick on the radio, asking if we had tickets for the ferry, "yes, why haven't you" was our reply "no we can not find any", Nicole explains that they should be with the boarding bass they got on the way out.  "I think we chucked them out" was they reply, we gave them the P&O phone No, to see what they should do (you don't even get tickets nowadays) it was about this time we got it wrong.  So next thing is, we are on the phone to P&O to explain that we may not be there in time for boarding but are assured that all we be ok even if we are late.

When we do get to the first exit in 14 miles, we have to pay a toll at an unmanned barrier and it only takes credit cards, Mick only has a debit card, so I do it with mine, the barrier goes up and he drives through.  Then when I insert the card for me, nothing happens and it keeps my card and I have to try and explain what is happening over a Tannoy system with some unseen person miles away, eventually I get my card back and the barrier is lifted.  Strangely though, nothing was ever debited from my card.

Eventually half an hour later we arrive at the terminal and get the ferry we were booked on.

Day fifteen or Back to the start

No comments:

Post a Comment