Friday 18 March 2011

2003, Day Ten, Vandenesse-en-Auxois

Day ten 11th June

Today England are playing Slovakia in a Euro 2004 qualifier in Middlesbrough, about seven miles from our house and as far as I know England have never played there before, anyway we are a lot further away now.  As I can not get the satellite to work, I ask at the bar to see if they can get the match on there TV, the answer is don't think so, so probably not.  So I get on my bike and have a look in the next field, I should be able to get a satellite single from there, on the way back the rear wheel comes loose and I have to push the bike back.  So we move pitch but I still get nothing.  I Dutch guy with a caravan is also trying to get a signal also with no luck so again I give up and we go to the pool.

The pool is quite good and we laze in and around it for the rest of the afternoon.

 France 2003Afters, France 2003The Pool, France 2003

Later that afternoon the Dutch guy comes down to see me, he has been out and bought a huge length of cable that stretches from his van to where we are, about 75 feet. he sets his dish up next to my van and gets a signal, up at his van.  So I set ours up again and point in the same direction as him and guess what, nothing.  We try his receiver with my dish, perfect, we try his dish and my receiver, nothing, in fact we try every combination and each time its my receiver that doesn't work.  Unfortunately we can not get the match on his receiver, so I ride over to the bar and they can't either, they are watching France, or someone like that.
We end up sat outside the Dutch couple's caravan, having a few drinks, listening to the match on their radio and getting text messages from home.  The Dutch guy (sorry I can't remember his name) is the retired editor of a magazine about beers and he is drinking wine, he does gives me a couple of good beers though and lots of info on Dutch and Belgian beers. 

England win 2 - 1. 

When we get back home I get a new receiver and have had no trouble with the satellite since then, I also exchanged the laptop TV receiver for a cheaper one that also worked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment