Thursday 17 March 2011

2003, Day Nine, Vandenesse-en-Auxois

Day nine 10th June

First thing on the morning, I get on the bike and ride to the village to see if it is worth having a walk there and also to check to see if it is safe to walk along the road.  Its three miles to the village, there are some grass verges to walk on and the road isn't very busy anyway.  Now this is another of my may faults, I can not ride a bike slowly, I have to make it go as fast as I can but being very very unfit, I am partially dead after the six mile ride.  In fact I think I am having a hart attack and it worries the hell out of me, I have to sit outside the site until I calm down before I let Dot see me (we now have a 100cc scooter for that sort of thing).

We do the long walk to the village of Vandenesse-en-Auxois and then we set off along the Canal de Bourgogn.  We actually walk about two and a half miles along the canal to the village of Créancey, it is then we realise that means we have five and a half miles to walk back the the site.  Later, looking at the map I find a road back to the site that would have only been about three miles, but we hadn't planed to walk along the cannel in the first place, so we hadn't bothered checking the map before we set off.  In fact we only intended to walk a couple of hundred yards along the canal to see what was round the bend. 


 Walking, France 2003Canal de Bourgogne, France 2003Canal de Bourgogne, France 2003

Back in Vandenesse-en-Auxois very hot and relatively tired, we stop for a drink at the small shop in the village by the canal and had a sit and rest by the lock gates.  The barge with the New Zealand flag from Dijon, was tied up in the small marina there.  After the drink it was still a long walk back to the site and we were ready for another drink at the bar as soon as we got back.


 Dot, France 2003Canal de Bourgogne, France 2003Canal de Bourgogne, France 2003

That night we were far too tired to cook, so we go to the site restaurant and have the local speciality, which, not surprisingly as we are in Burgundy, is Boeuf Bourguignon, very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment